Your deck and patio areas probably get used a lot more here in Texas, than other parts of the nation. We only experience colder weather a few months out of the year, and enjoy sunshine and warmth the rest of the time. This means keeping your deck and patio areas inviting and updated is more important for Texans. Use these fun, simple and budget-friendly DIY deck & patio ideas to spruce up your outdoor areas this summer:
- Furniture – Summer brings intense sunshine and relieving thunderstorms. Your outdoor furniture should reflect the extreme weather . Wicker furniture with waterproof fabric is a great choice, because it’s lightweight, all-weather and easy to jazz up with fun accent pillows.
- Elevation – A slight elevation in your deck will bring some added dimension to your entire yard. Easily build a platform with a couple of wide steps to create different “rooms” in your backyard. You could use one for dining and one for entertaining, spotlight a lifted garden or highlight a special birdbath or small water feature. If your backyard or deck is on an incline, consider creating walkways to connect separate sitting areas around the entire space.
- Privacy – Creating privacy doesn’t mean you it has to be obvious! Those thin, lush, green evergreen trees are easy to plant and upkeep, and offer a nice line of privacy. Remember to plant fast-growing trees like Emerald Green Thuja or get exotic with bamboo. Use a lattice and wrap vine around it, or get a privacy planter. You could even cover large refrigerator boxes with astroturf to create the illusion of a hedge, which can be relocated easily and requires no maintenance. Don’t forget- strategic placement can also block out the sun and give you a bit more shade, as well.
- Water – Adding a water feature brings the peaceful sound and vibe of moving water to your backyard. It can help create the perfect backyard oasis, and takes very little effort and money to complete. Country Living has several amazing DIY water feature projects to consider.
- Lighting – The right lighting can transform your deck or patio into a beautiful area to enjoy at night, after the sun has set. Strategically place candles, line walkways and paths with solar stakes, and grab some LED string lights to really add some pop to your outdoor area and give off some mood lighting. These will also provide you with some extra security to ensure your safety.
- Paths – Walkways and paths in your outdoor areas that are made of cobblestone or slate can look great, but might put the squeeze on your wallet. A simple, easy DIY deck idea is to use gravel, crushed shell or brick! Formal gardens around the world feature walking paths of these materials, and so can your own backyard. it’s also easier to maintain. With cobbles, when one is off-set or sinks, you have to replace and repair several of the surrounding stones, as well. Gravel and crushed material is a much more economical option and looks beautiful.
- BBQ – A homemade barbecue pit will create a focal point in your patio, offer a gathering space for your guests, look unique, and even offers more space than a traditional grill! Even better, a built-in pit don’t need to be rolled away or stored, and is weather-resistant. Check out this great tutorial that will help you create one in just one weekend!
These simple DIY deck and patio ideas can help create a beautiful, private, relaxing and safer outdoor area. Take full advantage of the space you have to add some pop and fun features that you can enjoy through the hot summers and all year long. You may also want to check out our post: Life Hacks to Better Your Outdoor Areas for even more fun ideas!