Moving house to house is often a chore that most people dread. It can be back-breaking work, and it’s stressful. You’re calling 20 different places updating your address. Then, you are packing your life up in boxes and figuring out how long your new commute to work will be. Make it easier on yourself, and consider these 10 tips for your upcoming move.
1. First, lighten up. Your move, that is. Start to declutter as soon as you know you’ll be moving. Weed out things that are broken or no longer needed. Removing trash and donation items from your home reduces the amount of boxes. Plus, you’ll have to pack up when moving house to house
2. Choose reliable movers. Look for good reviews from websites like Yelp! or Angie’s List, and ask at least 3 different companies for quotes. A good moving company will request to do an in-home walk-thru, rather than simply guessing by what you have told them. Believe it or not, you have way more stuff than you realize.
3. Pay by weight. When you pay by weight, you are paying for how much stuff you actually have. When you pay by space, movers can gauge you by haphazardly packing the truck. But since you already decluttered your house, you’ve already reduced the weight of your moving load (see #1).
4. Use proper packing materials. Knowing how to pack your fragile items could be all the difference between a smooth move and utter disaster. Glasses, dishes, and precious valuables should be packed in bubble wrap, as it absorbs shock, and paper does not. Mirrors, large pictures and artwork should be placed in special containers designed specifically for crating these items. If you don’t have your TV’s original box, double box it, with moving blankets in between boxes (and check to see if it needs to remain upright; laying a plasma TV on its side can cause permanent damage!).
5. Save on the cost of boxes. Very often, there will be “curb alert” postings from sites like Craigslist, and you can get like-new boxes for free! Liquor stores also have great boxes, made from heavy cardboard, that work great for moving.
6. Pack heavy items in small boxes and lighter items in larger boxes. Your back will thank you.
7. Label boxes on the top and the sides. It will make things much easier to find when boxes are stacked on top of each other.
8. Consider using a moving app, like Moving Van (iPhone, $1.99). That will allow you to take pictures of the contents of your boxes. Then, you can categorize them by room or by box number. This will help you find where everything is later. It will also ensure that all your boxes arrived (super helpful for a long-distance move).
9. Designate a box for bed and bath linens. You won’t want to be looking for those when you’re sweaty and tired from moving all day.
10. Keep irreplaceable items with you. Pack them in the car, along with your basic toiletries, phone book, snacks, and coffee!
Moving house to house doesn’t have to be as stressful as you think! These 10 tips should help reduce the headache, save you money, and keep your items safe.